The beginning
A public institution imagined for science
The Institute did not begin with a building. It began with a conviction that Bombay needed an institution devoted to scientific teaching and research.
In 1903, educationist Dr. Dugald Mackichan argued for an institution dedicated to scientific research in Bombay. Chemist Morris W. Travers reinforced the case, and Governor Lord Sydenham subsequently appealed to the city's citizens to help establish it. [1]
Bombay's philanthropic community supplied much of the financial foundation. Sir Cowasji Jehangir supported the Institute building and public hall; Sir Jacob Sassoon and Sir Currimbhoy Ibrahim made major gifts, while the Government of Bombay also contributed. The Maharashtra State Gazetteer records a total fund of Rs. 25 lakh for the project. [1]
Lord Sydenham laid the foundation stone on 5 April 1911. The building was completed in 1915, but the First World War changed its immediate purpose: it was requisitioned for use as the Gerard Freeman Thomas Hospitals. The Royal Institute of Science and the adjoining Cowasji Jehangir Hall were formally inaugurated on 27 March 1920. [1]